Tuesday, August 2, 2011

From the Field: Leadership Conference Teaches, Inspires, Connects 2012 Leaders

Touchdown: 1400 of us (students and staff from around the world) have just returned from our biggest programmatic event of the year, the Best Buddies International Leadership Conference. The conference captures what our programs are really doing, and now you can learn about our programs from students themselves: Rebecca shares a letter about Conference below and Aracely reflects on Conference in her blog.


July 27, 2011
Dear Sponsor,

Thank you for making Best Buddies Leadership Conference possible for me by sponsoring me. I cannot express how thankful I am to have met other Chapter Presidents from my area, as well as those from Colombia, Egypt, France, and much more. Through Leadership Conference, a number of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities have inspired me through their moving speeches and messages. Ultimately, Best Buddies Leadership Conference opened my eyes to how big of an organization Best Buddies really is, and how lucky I am to be on the forefront of a true social movement that changes lives every day.

Although Best Buddies has hosted Leadership Conference for over twenty years, I am the first Chapter President from my chapter to be able to attend such an important conference. This fact deepens my gratitude for having been given the opportunity to go and be exposed to everything Best Buddies had in store for me. I arrived at Indiana University with haphazard thoughts on how to lead my chapter next year. Now, it is safe to say that I am ready to guide my chapter with confidence and excitement.

The variety of sessions I attended during Leadership Conference have solidified any haphazard thoughts I had with leading a Best Buddies Chapter. I came back home with pages of notes and knowledge on how to lead a successful chapter that truly lives up to the Best Buddies mission. In four days, I jotted down multiple ideas for fun fundraisers and engaging activities.  Ultimately, attending Leadership Conference provided me with guidance and materials that will guide me through the upcoming year smoothly and effectively. I hope to set a good example for the next Chapter President, my fellow officers, and peer buddies.

Before attending the conference this year, I hardly knew anyone involved with Best Buddies out of the scope of my own chapter. My knowledge of Best Buddies was limited to my experience within my school’s chapter and monthly conversations with my Best Buddies Program Manager.  I knew there were other chapters in my area, but I rarely had the chance to interact them. Now, I am close friends with a few chapter presidents in my area (within walking and driving distance). Over the course of four days, we bonded and experienced everything Best Buddies had to offer for us. Plans to bring our chapters together through social outings are currently in the making!

As much as I dread the start of school again in three weeks, I am ecstatic to share my experience acquired from the conference with my fellow officers and begin leading my chapter. I am extremely lucky to have attended Leadership Conference this summer. It was life-changing and memorable, so thank you so much for making it happen. 

Sincerely,

Rebecca Tso
Cupertino High School
Cupertino, California

CA students in a "break-out" educational session. Escaping the 100 degree humidity in air-conditioned classrooms!

Rebecca Tso and comedian Alan Shain.



  
From a staff perspective, the conference provides a unique opportunity to discuss disability justice and friendship with amazing students and self-advocates from across the world.  This year, Buddy Ambassadors played a huge role as conference organizers and speakers, and we addressed the salient topics of disability rights history and bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment